Instagram

Tuesday 20 October 2015

TO SAHIL, WITHOUT LOVE

Note: This is for all the women out there who have ever been ridiculed, objectified or terrorized by our social set up.

I have tried and tried hard to stay away from serious topics, blunt truths and depressing realities. But is it really the solution to the problems I face daily? What good does my ignorance and blindness do to me other than keeping me obliviously happy for a few hours? Is it true to my soul?

I cannot be a cheerful, smiling monster all the time.
why?
Because people don't let me
They come and tell me why is it okay to hate them because they deserve it.




Hate the habit not the person, I know, I know.

To the millions of 'Habits' roaming around the roads of Lahore

A woman is not a public property.
She is not yours to come and comment at
She doesn't get up in the morning and dresses up for your pleasure
She doesn't care about you, random asses', opinion
She doesn't need your help cross the road
She doesn't need a 'ride' in your car
She doesn't swell with happiness when you say MashaALLAH
She is not brought up to cook your meals and do your laundry
She is not your kaneez
She is not yours.
Period.

It is not only disturbing but also depressing to think how many older men, men nearer to my father's age than mine, act like a teenage boy with new shot of testosterone.
I know it doesn't really matter what age the person belongs to. There is no rule an older man cannot hit on a girl. Why, they have a heart as green as any young lad!

Why can't I walk alone in a market?
Markets are only an example. The road in general is the main issue
Any where outside the sanctity of the house

Why can't I turn the corner of the road without having at least one male figure either comment on me, or follow me.
How does it satisfy you?
How pleasing is it to utter absolute nonsense to a person who a) doesn't give a shit about your lousy ass and b) will be gone in half a minute?

Is it really my fault if I am being followed around by a car on the road, just because I dared to leave my threshold without a father or brother to protect my virtue?
If it is not my fault, the  whose is it?
The society? Yes, yes, blame it on the society
Who society? What society?
Just don't peek into your soul
Who would want to look at their ugly side?

Why I don't want your number
Call me? Plzz?

Yeah sure, maybe when I am dead.

Why is it alright in this society for a guy to throw his number at you?

Wow! Gee thanks, thats exactly what I was waiting for to make my life perfect! -_-
 I don't hate the men that do it, I hate the set up for making it alright for them to do it.

If tomorrow, I see a cute guy walking down the road, and I throw my number at him, would you not call me a slut? Pardon my language, but it is the truth.
If I have to abide by the rules and sharam haya, then why don't you?
Is my character more feeble than yours?

Women do not make it a mission of their lives to dress up pretty so that they can have your number thrown into their car's window.
To be very honest, how can a guy expect a girl sitting in a car to call some random man off the street who probably doesn't have enough education and manners to treat her with the respect she deserves?

How delusional can they be?

This one is for Sahil, the guy who threw this card on a friend of mine.
Thankyou Sahil, you have made all of us happier than we could ever have been.

See Sahil, we liked you so much that we put you on the Internet.

Why I don't care about your opinion
If you think I am "khoobsurat" and "MashaAllah", does that make a difference in my life?

No, it doesn't.

Does my heart swell with happiness at the compliment?

You couldn't have been more wrong.

Why is it okay for a woman to be objectified by every aira-ghaira-nathu-phaira?

Why would a so-called Islamic society allow such ridicule to the women they so seriously consider their izzat?

Where is the honour?

Probably, eating dahi bhalay next street.
Say hello to her when you next meet her.

In the most cliché terms that a girl can use, do you not have a sister? Or a mother? Or a daughter?

Would do the same to her?
Would you stand it while someone else like you tilts his ugly head, looks her up and down and tell her she looks "MashaAllah"?

Would you not want to cut the mere throat that produced the sound?
Would you not want to gouge out the eye attached to that filthy minded head?

But your sisters and mothers and daughters are sitting safely in their houses while you gallivant around the city, making it a "safer" place for them to live in.

Should I not hate the mindset that makes it okay, regular and normal for men to do it?

I must clarify, it doesn't trouble me as such any more.
I have grown used to it
I don't turn my head hither and thither when I go out
I sleep well at night

But should that mean I should not speak of it?
If it isn't that "big of an issue" why bother commenting on it?

Larki ki izzat bht nazuk hoti hai na.

Why I don't want to talk to you
Every single one of us have had someone call/text them from an unknown number.

"Kis se bat krni hai apne?"
"Tum se aur kis se?" Says the croaky boy at the end of the line

Shukriya bht bht apka, I was waiting for this opportunity my whole life. Now I can tick one thing off of my bucket list.

Have you not had to make your brother/father reprimand a wrong caller?
Have you never had to delete a million of texts with poems and couplets?
Have you never blocked a number and spent your money just to stop some very farigh person from ruining your day?

Why don't you understand that I will not talk to you even if you turned out to be Osman Khalid Butt look alike? (In my defence, OKB who is loser enough to prank call girls is no suitable person. Still it would be a difficult choice)

I have grown sick and tired at the off hand way it is being delt with.

Why are you not madder?
why do you accept it as a normal thing?

This is our attitude that make things okay for people to do.

I know you cannot send a person to jail for calling someone repetitively from a million different numbers but I wish you could. Anyone who own a Galaxy Grand Prime would know the pain. :'(

Why can't I speak my mind
I really want to snap back at you when you yell at me from your end
I do

I have a quick brain
and a sharp tongue
I never listen to someone for no good reason
I don't let people get away with stuff

I tell them when and where they are wrong

It is my right
and personally, essential for my sanity.

But do I?

No, I don't
Because I get scared

Of you following me back to my home
Of you getting angry
Of you hurting me
physically and mentally

I am afraid that you may take it to your heart and decide to take revenge
And one day, a splash of liquid may burn my face

It has happened
It will happen in the future
No one stops them

I don't get why

But I tread along my path with caution and care because I have made a promise to my mother that I will come home safe
I have assured my father that I am capable of guarding my own honour, that he doesn't need to worry about his daughter studying 500 km  away.

So I shut up and move on.
Because of this set up
Because of the million faced monster that prowls around the city

No I do not hate the humans
I hate the habit



21 comments:

  1. While reading this... i cld recall all these live events happening to myself....
    every bit of it... is a bitter truth, indeed.
    Well written (y) (y)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading this... i cld recall all these live events happening to myself....
    every bit of it... is a bitter truth, indeed.
    Well written (y) (y)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While reading this... i cld recall all these live events happening to myself....
    every bit of it... is a bitter truth, indeed.
    Well written (y) (y)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now they can even get away easily after splashing that liquid on her face. It was written on a roadside banner: "Mun pay tezaab phanknay Ki saza, 10 lakh"
    So apparently a person's face is worth only 10 lakhs now. Animals are better than us.

    P.S. Never read such a strong post. Hat's off to you. You're a very good writer MA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly what I meant, a girl's life is ruined and all you have to do is pay some crappy amount of money and get away with it.

      P.S thankyou,means alot! :)

      Delete
  5. Soooo true... And very well written.. (y)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one Hell of a writer ! I love you for this ! I feel exactly the same !!! Just one difference of opinion .. I hate the humans not only the habit!!! Those pathetic worthless fools! Totally despicable !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha sania hosla!
      you would have me believe that I made a hater out of you.
      thankyou for the praise though, I love you for it ;)

      Delete
    2. You didn't !!! I hated them even before... its just that you put it to words !!!

      Delete
  7. I want to say.......it's only to learn how to give them damn..........let always give a look to them that they are not a worth of a second I think of.No one even dare to look once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to say.......it's only to learn how to give them damn..........let always give a look to them that they are not a worth of a second I think of.No one even dare to look once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is important, however futile the efforts to write on this topic might seem (Y)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!
      No good is going to come off this article yet people should talk about it at some level to start a conversation
      Thankyou Syed, your feedback means alot! :)

      Delete
  10. Astaghfirullah kehna bhi mana hona chahiye. 😂😂😂
    Feelings hurt hoti hain. :(

    Spot on!
    But wsy meri tou self esteem mein izafa hota hai hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha i wanted to write about that Astagfirullah.
      Maybe next time ;)

      Delete
  11. เว็บ ตรง สล็อต สล็อต เว็บ ตรง pg slot pg slot ค่ายเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ที่กำลังเป็นที่นิยมจากนักเล่นพนันทั้งโลก ด้วยประสิทธิภาพของตัวเกมที่ตามมาตรฐานตามระดับสากล ก็เลยมีความปลอดภัยสูง PG SLOT ทั้งยังในหัวข้อการจัดเก็บข้อมูลของผู้รับและก็ประเด็น

    ReplyDelete