Instagram

Saturday 11 June 2016

Refuge of Womanhood

Why is there no wrinkle on your forehead?
Nor a question on your lips
Why did you nod and walk away?
Why have you gone to sleep?

There is a man out there who ridiculed a woman
by using words that even an illiterate would know are wrong
in a company that is higher than all
and what is sadder is that men around actually laughed at the jest

Why aren't you mad enough?

That man has no shame still, on what he had done
for the reasons known to his psyche, he insists on denying it all
Why do men think women are stupid?

Do I look stupid to you when I demand respect, 
not greater than anyone
just basic respect that you would grant a fellow man?

Do I look stupid to you when I have a frown on my forehead
and an objection on my lips
for what you have done?

Do I look stupid to you when I say that I am a human being
That I demand the social security
and voice?

What have I said that is so shocking?
Why are you mad?


Th dilemma is that, that man is a representative of our grass root level psyche
and as he sat on a t.v show blamed the woman he had previously insulted,of "taking refuge in her womanhood."

A laugh escaped my lips

What refuge?
What safety?

We live in a country where a constitutionally redundant committee has the power and audacity to propose legalization of beating women.
Say MASHA'ALLAH

We live in a country where a young teacher was killed for exercising her right to refuse to marriage with a man twice her age.

We live in a country where an honorable Senator from JUI-F had nerve and frankly, permission enough to not only verbally abuse a woman but also attempt to physically attack her as well on television

We live here among rapists and arsonists and murderers who walk freely because who cares about a few dead/abused/crippled/burnt women?

So I ask you, oh-so-honorable Khawaja Asif, what refuge of womanhood?
Is there any left?

I drowned in despair when I saw the Muslim men of Lahore protest against the only piece of legislation that treats their mothers, sister, wives and daughters like human being with rights.

 That finally after nearly 70 years of being a country, Pakistan had realized that women aren't cattle.

Being a woman
I feel like a Muslim stuck in America after 9/11
Because whatever safety and hopes of safety my juvenile self had assumed/hoped for evaporated when I heard that 14 men of a jirga who strangled, raped and murdered a woman are likely to be set free.

Where is the refuge of womanhood when 7 women in Pakistan die daily through some form of abuse?

The problem is not the the problem
the problem is why aren't we mad enough?
why is it okay?

As I sit through a nikkah ceremony of a friend and see her uncle unthinkingly cross out the paragraphs that Islam provides for woman rights, I realize one thing

We, women of Pakistan, can all have a doctorate in a million subjects
and be richer than all men alive
But we will always be kept to be treated like we are stupid

Why do you send your daughter to school when you will always think of her as a being one less than your son?

With this, I rest my case.
Mr Khawaja Asif sir, there is no refuge whatsoever in womanhood

I feel threatened mentally physically and psychologically living in the environment created by your most precious and righteous men.

10 comments:

  1. Nicely written but too dark i would say. There are good men there as well. And if there aren't any, there's something wrong with how the mothers are raising them. Why don't we women teach our sons to lower their gaze as much as we make sure our daughters cover their faces with veils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I am for some reason too pessimistic so had to be dark.
      Hasn't come to that point yet for me to teach my kids lol but that is the plan

      Delete
  2. Miss Sania Tahir, you wrote a very popular article for westrenised women, there may be a lot of laurels coming you way but i have few observations.
    1. the woman who was disgraced in assembly by a stupid man, does she fulfill the requirements of a respectable muslim lady? her outlook and her get up is just like men and she doesn't feel hesitation while passing offensive remarks on men.
    2. the woman you mentioned who was verbally and physically assaulted by a man in a talk show, see her history she had been doing such acts herself in past and she looks like a professional woman sitting in market.
    3. i came across a video about women and sending you its link watch it and then decide whether there was also something wrong with these women or not.

    https://www.facebook.com/Shumail76/videos/vb.100010000038388/289742078035791/?type=2&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing you are a sir because well, why else would you gave presented such a pretty, well crafted argument.
      The only thing that I can say that I hope to God that you will understand is that ABUSE AND VIOLENCE HAVE NO EXCUSE.
      None whatsoever.
      So if a woman looks like a man, you will comment at her physique?
      Or if a woman has a history of having heated arguments, she looks like ,God-forbid,a bad woman?

      What kind of a person are you?

      I never once said a word about being a Muslim or even a respectable woman.

      1- Every woman and every man is worthy of respect in spite of what they do. Prophet P.B.U.H married a woman with a bad repute to prove this very point. How can you brazenly accuse a woman of such a thing? Tuhmat gunah hai

      2- My point was to give women rights equal to human beings. Never ever did in Islam did it say that a woman with good repute or a good character is equal to Allah to a man. "All men are born equal."
      Let me clarify, by men the translation refers to humans as men.

      3- thirdly, no woman, no matter how bad tempered or manly or having a loose character can be blamed for any form of violence , abuse or harassment.
      Stop for God's sake blaming the victim of the crime.

      And in.the end, I would like to say that if ever something like happened to any man, no matter religion, race. Or creed, I would be equally mad.

      Because no one is allowed to comment on anyone's physique.
      Please don't don't don't reply.
      Have a nice Ramzan.

      P.s. if being westernized is thinking with this mindset, then I don't know what Islam is. Read hadith,my brother. JazakAllah.

      Delete
  3. Miss Sania Tahir, it was really good to see your reply in response to my comment, but few things you overlooked and reacted irrationally.
    1. I didn't mean that she looked like men due to her features, Allah has created every 1 so objecting that is KUFAR. i meant she has presented her getup like a man, so if she doesn't care about her femininity or respect as women then how do u expect men to do so when in hot arguments.
    2. the 2nd women has documented videos of cutting loose while in discussions, her out look is obvious to every 1, i have not targeted her character but the way she presents herself.
    3. lastly you got stimulated to save the honour of women and fighting for their rights, how many times have you stood up for men like this?
    regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that is why I'm starting to hate this country. I don't want to live here anymore. Like seriously. I don't want my children to grow up in a such a pathetic society. I wish I was born somewhere else. We are just a so called Islamic country. No, I don't think we'll ever improve. Unless there's a huge revamp and every so called mullah and every politician is killed. Yes killed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pg slot gaming เกมสล็อตสมาชิกใหม่ยอดนิยมอีกทั้งในรวมทั้งเมืองนอกเป็นเกมเสี่ยงดวงอีกแบบหนึ่ง ที่ได้กำลังเป็นที่นิยมไปทั้งโลก ขอแนะนำค่าย pg slot เป็นค่ายที่มีภาพสวยเกมสนุก

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joker123 ที่พวกเราพรีเซ็นท์ เกมออนไลน์ได้เงินจริง ที่ตื่นเต้นเยอะแยะ กราฟฟิกงามไม่มีอันตราย ให้คุณเพลินและก็ศึกษาและทำการค้นพบระยะเวลาที่ความสนุกที่ pg และก็คุ้มค่ามาก

    ReplyDelete