Instagram

Saturday 14 November 2015

WHY MY HEART DOESN'T BLEED FOR PARIS

In all honesty, the attacks on Paris came as a surprise so severe that I actually went through the four stages of grief.

No, none of my family lives there
Nor do I know anyone that lives there


(Let me admit one thing though, I did worry a little about Mats Hummels playing in France Vs Germany right in the stadium outside which there was an explosion)

Just the plight of humans, no matter how remote and unrelated to us is enough to make you realize the human inside of you.

Its brutal
Its unacceptable
Its as bad as it can get
Maybe

But is this not exactly what has been happenening to us for God-knows how many years?
I know that it doesnt justify the lack of feeling on my part
Its a little unreasonable, to be truthful to myself.

When was the last time we had this minute by minute update of attacks of Kashmiris by the Indian Army?
Do you even remember that there are people who suffer almost everyday, the terrors of being alive?

When was the last time that the entire world started this hashtag project to support the families that have died in Syria? Or Afghanistan? Or Pakistan?
Even our hearts are turned in to stones

When my neighbour dies, I cry
When his neihbour dies, I blink and move on

Why, he was nothing to me
Why should I care?

Was he less human than my neighbour?
Did he deserve less attention?
Did he not deserve to be grieved?

Why is there no fuss when people in the third world countries suffer, every single day for a million reasons, terrorism among one of them, and there is this massive Social Media Tsunami when a well developed and highly prosperous country suffers a terrible, terrible incident?
They have better resources, better support to deal with a crisis
They have better military to deal with the terrorist

This doesn't mean the lives of people who died are wasted to me.
No
I pray for them to find peace
And their families to find peace
I pray that their losses are minimized by some God-sent compensation
I pray that Paris gets back to its happy, sunny, shiny glory as soon as possible

But I will not paint my facebook display in Red and Blue
Nor will I tweet with #Pray4Paris

Not until the world starts treating all men as equal
Until the loss human life is treated the same way no matter the geography
Until the death and horrors of lives of people who donot belong to a developed country are given the same weightage
Not until the attack on humanity in Syria and Kashmir and Pakistan is declared as the "attack on the entire humanity"

I am no less human than a Parisian
May God be with them

No comments:

Post a Comment