Instagram

Wednesday 6 April 2016

Save Your Smiles

When I was a little girl, my mother used to teach me the value of saving money with an example.


The example was of the working class in our village who, whenever there was a harvest, used to have money that would suffice them a year.

But instead of doing that, they would loitre it around
Party every day
Until the money was no more
And they are back to being destitutes


Maybe they were just chasing after the feeling of being rich for a few days
Or maybe they just do not think at all

I learned this lesson
But only in its exact same words
With no extension of thoughts towards any other matter, whatsoever

I stand on the side of the road
Its mid day
Sun is a bit too bright
There is a car reversing just near me
For some reason, I am not there

I wish and I wish
I wish I had learnt to save a few smiles
And a few skips of heart
For days like these

Why are we careless when we are happy?
Why do we get drunk on joy and lose it all on our way back home?

Happiness makes you feel immortal
and you, foolishly, believe it

so when the cities of your heart are dying
And houses are burning in front of you

All you can think is, how do I go back?

There is always this one point in time that triggers chaos
And sometimes, all I can think is how to go back and stop it from happening

Regrets and what ifs

(Now go back up and read the example again)

6 comments:

  1. These words 'Why are we careless when we are happy?
    Why do we get drunk on joy and lose it all on our way back home?

    Happiness makes you feel immortal
    and you, foolishly, believe it'...are so true.

    But maybe if happiness is fleeting it's not happiness. Because true happiness lasts. Or at least that's what fairy tales taught us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid fairy tales arent real.
      If we are not here to last, how can something as abstract as happiness can?

      -just a pessimist's view point.

      Delete
  2. Spoken like a true doctor. Life may not last but what we feel has the ability to last for as long as we are here. If we want it to. Pessimism is for those without belief in better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to throw mythologyyour way, but when a man was msde, there was one day of happiness and 40 days of sadness. So if I say happiness doesnt last forever, its my belief in something bigger than myself that proves me right.

      Delete
  3. SANIA cheeeetiii

    ReplyDelete